3D Printing Designers Interview: Sergio from 3DNG MX
1. Sergio, can you say a few words about yourself and your work?
I am Mexican. I love the simplest things in life, the sun, the rain, chocolate. I am lucky enough to see my “work” as more of a paid “hobby” I enjoy a lot. I used to do 3D work for Walt Disney at an external design firm, I learnt a lot from the Disney design process and story driven product philosophy. Now I am an entrepreneur starting my own design studio (3DNG) specialized in 3D product design and development “From Idea to Mold” would be my motto.
2. Where do you get your inspiration to create these fabulous designs?
I read about everything: nature, dinosaurs, space travel and science to name a few. It’s important to research stuff you don’t get to see every day. Sometimes I can be watching a documentary, working on a client’s project or walking down the street and then an idea strikes me, like when you figure out where the last piece of a puzzle goes. Most of the time I don’t sit down and go like “Let’s make this awesome design right now” I rather let things flow so they don’t feel pushed or rushed. The most important thing for me is functionality, how the product reads, the story it tells and how it relates to the user.
4. What 3D printer have you got and what are your regular printing settings?
I own 2 machines at the moment, a heavily upgraded Robo3D R1 which I use mostly for PLA and special filaments and a Flashforge Creator Pro for ABS.
- PLA = Extruder 200-210°C, Bed 60°C, Speed 45 - 60mm/s, Fans 100%
- ABS = Extruder 225-230°C, Bed 100°C, Speed 45 - 60mm/s, Fans Off
5. Finally, among all your great work, what is your favorite creation?
I like the Bat-Signal since it has a lot of storytelling going on, however my most functional design would be the iCableGuards and I use them every day. It’s hard to have a favorite, it’s like saying you don’t love all your children equally :P