Unbreakable Tube (with a string inside)
- 1.2k views
- 5 likes
- 41 downloads
3D model description
This is the third test version of an unbreakable tube. The tube is highly resistant to axial pressure. Accidental radial forces will angle tube's element, but will not break the tube. The string inside the tube will build up a tension similar to "prestressed concrete". Angled tube elements will flip back to their origin, if you use an elastic string. Use a strong string/wire to make the tube manual unbreakable.
Some results so far:
- Longer tube elements are less stable.
- Bending the tube very often will damage the edges of the tube elements. Check the red arrows in one of the pictures.
- The string looses tension after a bending due to less friction of the angled parts.
Things to do:
- design tube elements with a constricted opening on both sides
- design a rounded, more durable shape
- find another tightening mechanism
Update to V3 (improved elements, OpenSCAD optimization)
3D printing settings
Print at least one of each part and several of the tube elements. Then assemble it with a strong string. Make a knot at the open end. Rotate the upper part of the assembled tube clock wise, to increase the tension. The two strings inside the tube will twist by this rotation. Build up enough tension. Then try to bend the tube.
- 3D file format: STL
- Publication date: 2018/11/05 at 18:05
Best sellers of the category Various
Add a comment
Would you like to support Cults?
You like Cults and you want to help us continue the adventure independently? Please note that we are a small team of 3 people, therefore it is very simple to support us to maintain the activity and create future developments. Here are 4 solutions accessible to all:
ADVERTISING: Disable your AdBlock banner blocker and click on our banner ads.
DONATE: If you want, you can make a donation via PayPal here.
WORD OF MOUTH: Invite your friends to come, discover the platform and the magnificent 3D files shared by the community!