"Every minute, at least one woman dies from complications related to pregnancy or childbirth"
-World Health Organization http://www.who.int/features/qa/12/en/index.html
UPDATE 02012-12-15: Meeting went great; beginning collaboration with WinSenga team in 2013! First order of business is obtaining an antenatal care medical manikin/simulator. Anyone have one they want to donate?
UPDATE 02012-12-04: Excited to meet the WinSenga team this week! They're in the US taking meetings and receiving their Microsoft Imagine Cup award.
Inspired by the awesome work of the WinSenga team http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120927-mobile-ear-for-pregnancy-problems, this is a MakerBottable Pinard horn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinard_horn, a 19th century fetal stethoscope. This MakerSenga - senga is the local Ugandan name for midwife - can be used to diagnose fetal health by a trained practitioner or, paired with the end cap microphone, by anyone with the WinSenga software!
By Miles Lightwood of TeamTeamUSA.
Community health worker photo by Sven Torfin
For a traditional Pinard horn, print:
For a potentially WinSenga http://winsenga.org compatible Pinard horn, print both files:
* You must use support material to print the MakerSenga_cap.stl, and it's not as difficult as it sounds! Use MakerWare's built-in raft and support if you've got a Replicator, or use Matt's excellent support settings for a T-O-M or a Cupcake:
* Once printed, the support material is easily removed.
* The cap doesn't rotate fully to a locking position yet (but can be sanded/filed to fit).
* The exact microphone has yet to be determined, but the one pictured is the first candidate. The design will remain "in progress" until the final microphone is determined.
* The pictured MakerSenga has not been tested with WinSenga and is a proof-of-concept only.
You can print it - you know you can!
Trouble/makers have the opportunity and responsibility to re-think making and sharing in an abundant, generous and global context. Two teams are better than one!
You like Cults and you want to help us continue the adventure independently? Please note that we are a small team of 3 people, therefore it is very simple to support us to maintain the activity and create future developments. Here are 4 solutions accessible to all:
ADVERTISING: Disable your AdBlock banner blocker and click on our banner ads.
DONATE: If you want, you can make a donation via PayPal here.
WORD OF MOUTH: Invite your friends to come, discover the platform and the magnificent 3D files shared by the community!