Do Nothing Box, Dovetail Edition
- 1.7k views
- 3 likes
- 51 downloads
3D model description
Same as Do Nothing Box, but with dovetail joinery on the corners. The sides and lid of the "Do Nothing Box, Dovetail Edition" are installed after the wiring is completed, wiring is easier in this version, and, well, dovetails give it class.
Video on YouTube is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqOceLFEipQ.
This thing was printed in PLA on a Makerbot Replicator 2 using Makerware, and designed using Sketchup 8.
You will need soldering skills and equipment, plus other hand tools to build this. Light machine oil, cyanoacrylate, sandpaper, 22 gauge wire and a few other expendables are also needed. A parts list is included in the instructions.
Coming soon, "Do Nothing Box, Dueling Edition". Preview on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vPxJwMEXJI.
3D printing settings
1) Motor - "6VDC 45 RPM Pinky Finger Sized Gear Motor 1" Long x 15/32" x 3/8"" from either amazon.com or directly from http://sciplus.com/p/MICROMOTOR_47952.
2) Battery Holder - Radio Shack part number 2700411.
3) 4 "AAA" batteries.
4) Lever Switch - Radio Shack part number 275-0016.
5) Toggle Switch - Radio Shack part number 275-663.
1) Print one each of "Axel.stl","Back.stl", "Base.stl", Bushing Axel.stl", "Finger.stl", "Front.stl", "Gear Axel.stl", "Gear Motor.stl" and "Lid.stl". Print "Axel.stl", "Finger.stl", "Gear Axel.stl" and "Gear Motor.stl" with 100% infill. The remaining parts may be printed with Makerware "Standard" settings.
2) Print two each of "Pin Hinge.stl" and "Side.stl" using Makerware "Standard" settings.
Assemble Parts. When studying "Assembly.skp" in Sketchup 8 (the free version by the way), right click on a part then select "Entity Info" from the menu that pops up. This will launch a small menu showing you the part name ("Definition") which will help in identifying the location and position of the various "Do Nothing Box, Dovetail Edition" parts.:
1) Assemble "Back.stl", "Front.stl" and both "Side.stl". Place "Front.stl" on a flat surface. Study "Assembly.skp", then press one "Side.stl" on each end of "Front.stl". Flip the assembly, then press "Back.stl" into place. I used a rubber mallet for these steps.
2) Position "Lid.stl" on top of the assembly such that the hinge holes align with the hinge holes on "Back.stl". Press one "Pin Hinge.stl" into each hinge. The lid should pivot freely.
3) Place motor in motor holder on "Base.stl". Place lever switch in lever switch holder on "Base.stl". Place a dot of thick cyanoacrylate on the flat of the motor shaft, then press "Gear Motor.stl" onto motor shaft. I used slip joint ("Channel Lock") pliers to press the gear onto the shaft.
4) Press "Finger.stl" onto "Axel.stl" in the position shown in "Assembly.stl". Place this assembly in "Base.stl" as shown in "Assembly.skp". Next press "Bushing Axel.stl" and "Gear Axel.stl" onto "Axel.stl" as shown in "Assembly.skp". Once assembled, the finger / axel assembly should pivot with little of no friction. If yours does not, carefully dissassemble, sand/file/scrape as needed, then reassemble/realign and try again.
5) Slide lever switch into "Base.stl" as shown in "Assembly.skp".
1) Wire as per "Wiring.skp".
1) Carefully press the "Front.stl", "Back.stl", "Side.stl", "Lid.stl" and "Pin Hinge.stl" assembly into "Base.stl". I used a bench vise.
2) Install toggle switch in hole in "Front.stl".
3D printer file information
3D design format: STL and ZIP Folder details Close
- Publication date: 2018/06/19 at 15:49
The more mistakes I make, the more knowledge I gain.
Best sellers of the category Various
Add a comment
Would you like to support Cults?
You like Cults and you want to help us continue the adventure independently? Please note that we are a small team of 3 people, therefore it is very simple to support us to maintain the activity and create future developments. Here are 4 solutions accessible to all:
ADVERTISING: Disable your AdBlock banner blocker and click on our banner ads.
DONATE: If you want, you can make a donation via PayPal here.
WORD OF MOUTH: Invite your friends to come, discover the platform and the magnificent 3D files shared by the community!