String "Climbing" Toy
- 811 views
- 3 likes
- 20 downloads
3D model description
String "Climbing" Toy is another string climber based on the dual spool design of this thing: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1825987. It doesn't really climb the string, it just appears to do so.
Consisting of 12 unique parts (17 total), and only requiring the purchase of embroidery floss, once assembled String Climbing Toy puts to use the "String Climbing Mechanism" and further illustrates how string climbing toys such as these, some over 100 years old, operate.
Video of prototype is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60q-28NenRQ.
Designed using Sketchup Make 2016 and printed in PLA on an Ultimaker 2 Extended.
3D printing settings
Parts I Purchased:
1) Embroidery floss (super center, sewing shop, Amazon, etc). Sewing thread is too thin, and standard cotton string is too large and frays. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Print 2 "Axle Arm.stl", "Arm.stl", "Hand.stl", "Tower.stl" and "Ring.stl", then print 1 each of the remaining pieces.
Prior to assembly, test fit and trim, file, sand, etc. all parts as necessary for smooth movement of moving surfaces, and tight fit for non moving surfaces. Depending on the colors you chose and your printer settings, more or less trimming, filing and/or sanding will be required. If the tight fitting components are too loose, add a small dot of cyanoacrylate to each side of the pin, allow to dry completely (I use accelerator to speed the process), then try the fit again. Repeat until tight.
Assemble as per "Assembly.stl". I perform the assembly task in the following order:
1) Press "Spool Center.stl" onto "Spool Large.stl".
2) Press "Spool Small.stl" onto "Spool Large.stl".
3) Press "Axle.stl" into "Spool Large.stl".
4) Cut two 24" lengths of embroidery floss, and tie a knot into one end of each piece.
5) Starting with the unknotted end, thread the embroidery floss into the small hole in "Spool Large.stl" starting from the flat side, then pull it all the way through until the knot sits inside the hole. Secure the knot in the hole using cyanoacrylate glue.
6) Repeat step 5 for "Spool Small.stl".
7) Wind the embroidery thread onto the spools in opposite directions. On the large spool, leave about 4" of embroidery thread unwound, the small spool about 10" of embroidery thread unwound.
8) Slide one axle into one of the "Tower.stl", then the other into the second "Tower.stl", then press the assembly into "Case.stl" making sure the short and long embroidery floss strands exit the smaller opposing holes in "Case.stl".
9) Tie one "Ring.stl" to the embroidery thread from the large spool. I tied a double knot, secured the knot with cyanoacrylate glue, then trimmed away the excess. This ring is the "lower ring".
10) Tie the remaining "Ring.stl" to the thread from the small spool and secure and trim it as was done to the lower ring. This is the "upper ring".
11) Assemble "Hand.stl", "Arm.stl", and "Axle Arm.stl" as shown in "Assembly.stl" The press the assembly onto the end of either of the axles. Repeat for the second arm assembly.
12) Carefully align the towers with the holes in "Face.stl", then press into place on "Case.stl".
13) I secured "Face Detail.stl" to "Face.stl" using small dots of cyanoacrylate glue.
14) Pick the entire assemble up by the rings, the upper ring on top. Pulling either ring will cause String Climbing Toy to climb the embroidery floss. Allowing the embroidery floss to go slack will allow gravity to return String Climbing Toy to the lower ring.
Hope you print one!
3D printer file information
3D design format: STL Folder details Close
- Publication date: 2018/06/07 at 16:50
The more mistakes I make, the more knowledge I gain.
Best sellers of the category Game
Add a comment
Would you like to support Cults?
You like Cults and you want to help us continue the adventure independently? Please note that we are a small team of 3 people, therefore it is very simple to support us to maintain the activity and create future developments. Here are 4 solutions accessible to all:
ADVERTISING: Disable your AdBlock banner blocker and click on our banner ads.
DONATE: If you want, you can make a donation via PayPal here.
WORD OF MOUTH: Invite your friends to come, discover the platform and the magnificent 3D files shared by the community!