Openlock / Openforge 2.0 Tudor Fireplace and Chimney Set
- 1.1k views
- 3 likes
- 88 downloads
3D model description
This is a remix based on the excellent OpenForge Tudor tiles created by Devon Jones, and the really useful remixes of them by Ken Jarosz (Start2). It's part of my ongoing project to build a tavern for my D&D campaigns.
Most of the fireplaces I've seen on Thingiverse are excellent, but tend to either be older castle-styled, or more modern "mansion-chic". I wanted a proper Tudor style one. If you look up photos of original Tudor fireplaces in more ordinary buildings, they are actually quite minimalist - generally an opening with a simple stone arch set in wood panelling, no shelf or super-ornate stone surround. But you'll often see wonderful patterns created using their new wonder-material, the humble red brick.
The files in this remix have a fairly carefully constructed filename structure. I've tried to make them short enough to fit the screen on an Ender 3 ! There are 4 prefixes;
- OL are OpenLock pieces, based on Start2's thinner Tudor walls.
- OF are Openforge 2.0 pieces, based on Devon Jones' Towne walls and designed to work with the separate OpenForge bases
- T are based on the OpenForge parts, but fitted to OpenLock bases. I called them T to stand for Towne.
- S is another OpenForge Towne-based part, fitted to an OpenLock S-sized base.
The second part of the filename tells you what the part is (not all types are represented in each group of parts);
- Fire - that's the basic fireplace, designed to be used where you're not too worried about what's happening on the other side of the wall. Start2's walls are thinner than the OpenForge ones, so that version is shallower than the others. The S-Fire piece is designed to work with the S walls I created at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3494268 - ideal if you're building a tavern and want an internal fireplace in one of the rooms !
- Firechim - is the fireplace with a chimney breast at the rear, ideal if you're creating a building where the external appearance matters.
- Upperchim - a wall with a chimney breast on the outside, useful if the chimney continues to upper stories of the building. The OpenLock one has two versions, one with and one without clip slots.
- Midchim - this is a half-height wall with chimney breast. Designed to work with the floor spacer kit I published as https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3463738
- AWall-Noclips - Start2's Tudor walls all have clip slots, normally useful but in this case they took up space I needed to recess the fireplace in. So I made a version without clips as a basis, and I thought I might as well add it just in case someone finds it useful.
- Lower-Spacer and Upper-Spacer - these are just for the OpenForge versions of Firechim and Upperchim. They are spacers to extend the chimney breast down to the bottom of the base, to be glued on if you want (an alternative for the ground floor is to use a cobbled street base or something to slip under the chimney breast).
The fireplaces should print without supports (hopefully !). On my Ender, I tried with and without supports; the version without was easier to clean up, and the small amount of looping I got was mostly hidden or (for the stone fire surround) actually looked like the rope-edge design which was carved into some Tudor fireplaces.
You can download OpenLock clips from Printable Scenery, the company who created the system - https://www.thingiverse.com/Printablescenery/designs
Coming soon: roof sections with chimney stacks and pots, to link this thing with the Tudor Roof kits I've posted at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3608343
- 3D file format: STL
- Publication date: 2020/02/20 at 14:58
Hi ! My name is Sean. I started 3D printing because I wanted to create and print things to support my love of Dungeons and Dragons.
After printing some wonderful designs by other talented people, I found there were gaps - things I wanted but couldn't find designs for. So I started making a few creations of my own. I hope you like them ! I test print everything on my trusty Ender 3 before publishing.
Best sellers of the category Game
Add a comment
Would you like to support Cults?
You like Cults and you want to help us continue the adventure independently? Please note that we are a small team of 3 people, therefore it is very simple to support us to maintain the activity and create future developments. Here are 4 solutions accessible to all:
ADVERTISING: Disable your AdBlock banner blocker and click on our banner ads.
DONATE: If you want, you can make a donation via PayPal here.
WORD OF MOUTH: Invite your friends to come, discover the platform and the magnificent 3D files shared by the community!