The Biomechanical Dragonfly
- 5.9k views
- 92 likes
- 272 downloads
- 0 comments
- 3 makes
3D model description
This biomechanical beast of an insect features individually articulated, counter-flapping wings! The best part about this design is that the mechanism which allows for such SICK articulation doesn't even need assembly, it's FULLY PRINT IN PLACE! With that said, the legs, head, and wings are printed separately to ensure that your futuristic, yet prehistoric dragonfly is as STRONG and CLEAN as possible!
Thanks to its large tolerances, this design has been successfully and repeatedly printed as small as 60%. Scaling to such a size results in a quick four hour print that easily fits on an Ender-sized build plate. Just snap the head on, pop the legs and wings into their respective slots in the torso, and watch it FLY! It will be fragile, but what insect isn't?
This Biomechanical Dragonfly has a lot of cool features!
- Snap-on head with VORONOI EYES!
- Skeletonized body and tail.
- Faux internals/conduits.
- PIP counter-flapping wing mechanism.
- Dovetail joints & flattened pegs, to ensure perfect alignment every time.
- 3 different types of wings, two of which work at ANY scale down to 60%
- Custom supports that pop off with ease.
If you like this file, check out my other creations:
If you want something more realistic, check out my PIP Panther Chameleon that has a fully articulated prehensile taill, and GRIPPY little hands!
COMMERCIAL LICENSING: I offer commercial licensing via Patreon for those who are interested in selling 3D prints of my design. All tiers receive Patreon exclusive designs, a 50% discount on ALL of my files, and FREE bonus content.
All of my files are released at the highest resolution possible without hindering slicing time too much. This ensures it can be upscaled with no ill effect! Plus, if you're paying for a file, wouldn't you want every polygon?!
3D printing settings
It's a fun print! This design has been tested all the way down to 60% scale on over 10 separate FDM printers!
-No supports needed
-Print-In-Place torso, all joints are interlinked!
-There are many small components, clean your print bed with hot water and soap if you're having trouble with adhesion.
-Works with any plastic. I HIGHLY recommend PolyTerra, it has fantastic adhesion and bridges nicely.
When printing at 60% scale
- While the supports will break off easily, I recommend a 0.12mm layer height when printing at this scale to ensure the presence of the 1-layer gap that allows for an even easier support removal.
- Use only the lace wings or those with the thick membrane.
- Take it SLOW on the first layer, 30mm/s or less.
- I recommend 4 walls or 30-50% infill when printing at this size, it will be delicate.
To get the beautiful pattern when using an AMS/MMU, use the "thin membrane" and paint the top surface between the veins of the wings! That's all I had to do to get multicolor wings on my X1C.
While both the wings and legs are a press-fit, I recommend gluing them in place.
3D printer file information
- Design number: 1220814
3D design format: ZIP Folder details Close
The Biomechanical Dragonfly - HYPED 3D.zip
- Wings/The Biomechanical Dragonfly - Wings - Lace - HYPED 3D.stl
- Wings/The Biomechanical Dragonfly - Wings - Thick Membrane - HYPED 3D.stl
- Wings/The Biomechanical Dragonfly - Wings - Thin Membrane - HYPED 3D.stl
- The Biomechanical Dragonfly - Legs - HYPED 3D.stl
- The Biomechanical Dragonfly - Assembled - HYPED 3D.stl
- The Biomechanical Dragonfly - Head - HYPED 3D.stl
- The Biomechanical Dragonfly - Torso - HYPED 3D.stl
- The Biomechanical Dragonfly - HYPED 3D.zip
- Last update: 2023-05-29 at 05:56
- Publication date: 2023-05-14 at 22:16
Makes created by the community
Best 3D printer files of the Animals & creatures category
Best sellers of the category Animals & creatures
Would you like to support Cults?
You like Cults and you want to help us continue the adventure independently? Please note that we are a small team of 3 people, therefore it is very simple to support us to maintain the activity and create future developments. Here are 4 solutions accessible to all:
ADVERTISING: Disable your banner blocker (AdBlock, …) and click on our banner ads.
AFFILIATION: Make your purchases online by clicking on our affiliate links here Amazon.
DONATE: If you want, you can make a donation via Ko-Fi 💜.
WORD OF MOUTH: Invite your friends to come, discover the platform and the magnificent 3D files shared by the community!
Add a comment